Highland Dance Entries may be made via our online ticketing process.
(See instructions at bottom of the page.)
Woodland Celtic Games is host to the Sacramento Valley Championships – one of the most important events on the highland dancing calendar on the West Coast. As a competitor, you will compete against the finest dancers and perform in front of one of the most appreciative audiences a performer could ask for.
Whether you are a younger dancer at the start of your career, or a world champion, Woodland Celtic Games is a great opportunity to have fun, make friends and compete against the very best Highland Dance has to offer.
SATURDAY, April 27, 2019 – SACRAMENTO VALLEY CHAMPIONSHIP
Registration begins at 9:30 a.m.; competition for all ages begins at 10:00 a.m.
- Premiere 7 & Under 12 Years
- Premiere 12 & Under 16 Years
- Premiere 16 Years and Over
Fling, Sword, Seann Triubhas and Strathspey and 1/2 Tulloch – 2019 Championship Steps
The age groups for the championships will be determined by the entry.
Registration begins at 1:30 p.m.; competition for Primary dances (all four) will commence at 2:00 p.m., all other Pre-Premiere categories will follow the completion of the Primary events.
|4. Highland Fling (4)||8. Highland Fling (4)||12. Highland Fling (4)||16. Highland Fling (4)|
|5. Sword Dance (2/1)||9. Sword Dance (2/1)||13. Sword Dance (2/1)||27. Sword Dance (2/1)|
|6. 16 Pas de Basques||10. Seann Triubhas (3/1)||14. Seann Triubhas (3/1)||18. Seann Triubhas (3/1)|
|7. PdB’s & High Cuts||11. Strathspey & 1/2 Tulloch||15. Strathspey & 1/2 Tulloch||19. Sailors Hornpipe (4)|
To sign up for the Highland Dance competition, scroll to the bottom of the page.
SUNDAY, April 28, 2019
Registration begins at 9:30 am, with the competition commencing at 10:00 am.
|20. Highland Fling (4)||24. Trophy Fling (4)||28. Trophy Fling (4)||32. Barracks Johnnie (4)|
|21. Sword Dance (2/1)||25. ½ Tulloch||29. ½ Tulloch||33. Scottish Lilt (4)|
|22. 16 Pas de Basques||26. Scottish Lilt (4)||30. Scottish Lilt (4)||34. Flora MacDonald (4)|
|23. PdB’s & High Cuts||27. Flora MacDonald (4)||31. Flora MacDonald (4)||35. Irish Jig (3/1)|
|PREMIER UNDER 12||PREMIER 12 & UNDER 16||PREMIER 16 & OLDER|
|36. Barracks Johnnie (4)||40. Barracks Johnnie (4)||44. Barracks Johnnie (4)|
|37. Blue Bonnets (4)||41. Blue Bonnets (4)||45. Blue Bonnets (4)|
|38. Scottish Lilt (4)||42. Scottish Lilt (4)||46. Scottish Lilt (4)|
|39. Sailors Hornpipe (4)||43. Sailors Hornpipe (4)||47. Sailor’s Hornpipe (5)|
- Sacramento Valley Championships are sanctioned by and conducted under the rules and regulations of the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing (SOBHD).
- The earliest entry dances last; latest entry dances first for the Highland Fling. If an age group has ten dancers, the order of dance for the Sword Dance, Seann Triubhas and 1/2 Tulloch will be determined by a random draw that will be conducted prior to the commencement of the Championship.
GENERAL COMPETITION RULES
- Competition will be governed by the rules and regulations of the SOBHD.
- Any competitor not present when their event is called may forfeit their entry in that event.
- Entries must be POSTMARKED by April 6, 2019. An additional $10.00 late fee must accompany entries postmarked after April 6, 2019.
- The earliest entry dances last; latest entry dances first. The number of competitors will determine the number of prizes.
- Entry fees cannot be refunded.
- Entries will not be taken on the field.
- The Games Committee reserves the right to cancel, combine, and/or add events, reject any entry, or make changes within the SOBHD Rules and Regulations.
- The Sacramento Area includes all dancers who take lessons, reside, and/or take lessons from a teacher who lives in the County of Sacramento or a 25-mile radius from the State Capital Grounds.
- Dancers MUST be in complete highland dress to participate in the awards ceremonies.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- NO GLASS CONTAINERS ON FIELD.
- SORRY, NO DOGS ALLOWED ON THE FIELD.
IN CASE OF RAIN, THE COMPETITION WILL BE HELD IN A SUITABLE FACILITY AT THE FAIRGROUNDS
HIGHLAND DANCING AWARDS
Medals will be awarded to all pre-premier classes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places. Ribbons will be given to all 4th, 5th & 6th place winners. Championship trophies, class trophies and special trophies will be awarded in accordance with SOBHD rules. An aggregate trophy will be awarded each day in the Beginner, Novice and Intermediate classes. One stamp will be given for the weekend of dance for those earning a stamp.
Championship awards for Premier 7 Years and Under 16 (per dance)
1st Place ‑ $30.00 2nd Place ‑ $25.00 3rd Place ‑ $20.00 4th Place ‑ $15.00 5th Place ‑ $10.00 6th Place ‑ $5.00
Awards for Premier 7 Years and Under 16 – Nationals (per dance)
1st Place ‑ $30.00 2nd Place ‑ $25.00 3rd Place ‑ $20.00 Medals will be awarded for fourth through sixth place.
Awards for Premier 16 Years and Over (per dance)
1st Place ‑ $50.00 2nd Place ‑ $40.00 3rd Place ‑ $30.00 4th Place ‑$25.00 5th Place ‑ $20.00 6th Place ‑ $15.00
Prize money will be given in each age group determined by the entries received.
Most Promising Sacramento Area Beginning Dancer
Sponsored by: The Shepherd Family
Open to all Sacramento area beginning dancers. This trophy is awarded to the dancer who is determined by the judges to show the most promise. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
Most Successful Sacramento Area Novice Dancer
Open to all Novice Sacramento Area dancers. This trophy is awarded to the dancer who has earned the most aggregate points. If there are not six dancers in an age group, a dance off of all Sacramento area dancers will be held. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
Most Successful Sacramento Area Intermediate Dancer
Open to all Intermediate dancers in the Sacramento Area. This trophy is awarded to the dancer who has earned the most aggregate points. If there are not six dancers in an age group, a dance off of all Sacramento area dancers will be held. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
Best Sacramento Area Dancer
Sponsored by: Daughters of Scotia, Kilwinning Lodge, #203
The best Sacramento Area Dancer, as determined by the Judges during a dance-off between all Sacramento Area Premier dancers. The dance will be a Highland Fling, 4 steps. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
Robert MacDonald Memorial Broad Sword
Sponsored by the St. Andrew’s Society of Sacramento
A sword will be awarded to the winner of a dance off between the premier dancers who place first in the Sword Dance competition during the championships. This dance off will take place prior to announcing the championships results and will be a 2/1 Sword Dance.
Karyl Kintner Todd Memorial Nationals Trophy
Sponsored by the Groeschel Family
Open to all Premier dancers who reside in California. This trophy is awarded to the dancer who has earned the most aggregate points in the National Dances. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
Scottish & Newcastle Trophy ‑ Dancer of the Weekend
Sponsored by: Scottish & Newcastle Importers Co.
This trophy is awarded to the Premier dancer who wins a dance off between the Premier dancers who have earned the most aggregate points in each age group throughout the competition. This winner of this award will receive a $50 Scholarship.
All scholarships are to be used for highland dancing and can be put towards costuming for competition, workshop tuition, lessons and entry fees.